From: PLUG <plug-boun...@pdxlinux.org> On Behalf Of Michael Barnes
Sent: Wednesday, May 10, 2023 8:54 PM
To: Portland Linux/Unix Group <plug@pdxlinux.org>
Subject: Re: [PLUG] Any Ubiquiti Experts?

On Wed, May 10, 2023 at 7:35 PM Tomas Kuchta <tomas.kuchta.li...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, May 10, 2023, 17:47 Michael Barnes <barnmich...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I have a local network using an Ubiquiti Bullet M2 feeding a Netgear
> router
> > that serves my various devices. The Bullet serves as an access point
> > and pulls from an available wifi source.
> > I got a hotspot from Verizon for internet access. When I log into
> > the Bullet to select a source, the hotspot shows up on the list, but
> > is not selectable. It has good signal strength, just not the little
> > circle that allows me to select it.
> > .
>

> I am confused about your network topology. So, you get in internet
> over wifi from somewhere, received by the bullet - that feeds Netgear
> router by what? (Ethernet cable?) Then you get your other wifi devices
> connected to Netgear or back to bullet on different vlan or ?? Very
> confusing .... Now you want the bullet to be able to get internet from
> 2nd source (hotspot), but only when it is on?
>
> It loos like pretty complex order. Perhaps you need some low level
> access to the Linux network config on the bullet. If that is so,
> please consider
> a) simplifying your network topology and b) installing wrt on the
> bullet so that you can configure the network and routing directly.
>
> -T
>
> Tomas

Sorry if it was confusing.

The bullet is connected to an antenna that picks up internet via wifi. The
ethernet from the bullet goes through a POE injector into the Internet/WAN port
 of the Netgear router. My various devices (TV, Portal, a couple Raspberry Pis,
etc.) all connect to the Netgear router. Most of the time there is local wifi
available for me to connect to, but not always. When wifi is not available, I
have turned on the hotspot on my phone and connected to it. However, when I
leave, the network looses internet.
Lately, I've been having to use my phone a lot and have used up my meager
(6GB) monthly data allocation. Trying to resolve this, I obtained a Verizon
hotspot with 100GB monthly data. When I log into the bullet to tell it what
wifi to connect to, it shows the hotspot on the list, but does not have the
little circle that allows that source to be selected.

Otherwise, every time I change the internet source, I have to go to every
device and log onto the new wifi. With up to seven or more devices, and
sometimes changing internet sources daily, that is a real pain. It is so much
easier to just have everything connected to the local network and only change
the bullet access point. And since lately local wifi hasn't always been
available to me, I wanted to use the hotspot.

Does that clarify it at all? Any ideas on why the bullet connects to pretty
much everything but the Verizon hotspot? I am suspecting the issue is with the
Verizon hotspot, but not sure.

Michael