On Sun, 28 May 2023 00:37:28 -0700
Keith Lofstrom <kei...@kl-ic.com> dijo:

>I bought a "PNY 16GB Attaché 3 USB 2.0 Flash Drive 10-Pack"
>from Amazon for $27.98, to transfer files from some ancient
>CentOS machines to replacement Debian machines.
>
>The four I've tested so far format to more than 30GB (!!!)
>of ext3 file systems.  Hard to believe, so I read/write-
>tested two of them with random patterns for a few days.
>No bits lost.

In the past I've bought USB drives advertised as 1TB that appeared in
GUI file browsers as 1TB, but which could not take more than 32GB of
data. The end of the story is that they were really 32GB drives that
evildoers in China had hacked to make them appear as 1TB drives. If you
bring up a selection of 1TB drives on eBay you will find many at the
beginning of the list priced at around $16, and I can guarantee you that
every one has been similarly hacked. Then there will be a big empty
space in the listings, followed by more 1TB drives at the $100+ price.
And it's not just eBay; I find the same thing at Amazon and Newegg,
although responsible vendors at least try to hold the bad guys at bay.
And if you want to buy a 1TB SD card you'll find that the same thing is
happening.

And one more point - the hacked ones were originally 32GB (usually),
and many were name brands like PNY, Kingston, etc; in other words, the
seller bought a big batch of 32GB name brand drives, then hacked them
to sell them as 1TB drives, so you can't assume that if it has a name
brand on the case it is really as big as the seller claims. And one
final point, in US law the principle of 'let the buyer beware' (caveat
emptor) hasn't been true since I was a child; nowadays it has become
discloseat vendor (apologies to ancient Romans). Unfortunately, Chinese
law imposes little or no penalty for fraud, and ditto for many other
countries, and even if what the seller does is really illegal, good luck
finding the seller and serving them with legal process.

I do not understand how the hackers accomplish their machinations, nor
do I know how to undo the hack. But I do have abundant knowledge of
what a dollar should buy, and I am certain as to how many of them are
in my bank account. This gives me one sure way to tell if a drive is
real; just go to (e.g.) pny.com and see what they charge for a drive of
the size you want to buy, and if your vendor is selling a drive of that
capacity for a fraction of the price, give it a pass.

The above is not directly on point to Keith's plaint, but it is related
and may be useful.