------- Original Message -------
On Sunday, May 28th, 2023 at 12:37 AM, Keith Lofstrom <kei...@kl-ic.com> wrote:

> I bought a "PNY 16GB Attaché 3 USB 2.0 Flash Drive 10-Pack"
> from Amazon for $27.98, to transfer files from some ancient
> CentOS machines to replacement Debian machines.
>
> The four I've tested so far format to more than 30GB (!!!)
> of ext3 file systems. Hard to believe, so I read/write-
> tested two of them with random patterns for a few days.
> No bits lost.
>
> I haven't "debugged" this strange miracle deeply; I don't
> know whether they actually store 328(2^30) bits, or a
> slightly smaller fraction of that. My guess is that the
> chip inside is for a 32GB product, with some spare memory
> pages beyond that, but a few too many pages were defective
> to sell as a 32 GB product. So PNY formatted the "best"
> pages to look like a 16GB Windows flash drive and file
> system, and sold the drive as that.
>
> Formatting that I ignored and overwrote; I don't have any
> Windows machines around.
>
> If any of you wants to deeply examine one of these drives,
> I would be glad to give one to you, in return for data and
> opinions about that data. To do the job right, you might
> need a variable 5-volt"-ish" power supply and a temperature
> oven; some pages may fail near spec limits. I might loan
> a power supply, but my lab oven is too big to move.
>
> I can't guarantee that other PNY "10 packs" will behave
> the same. But as a retired chip designer, schooled in
> the idea that "a defect is a treasure" (hoard and test
> and understand them, never sell them to lesser beings),
> it is marvelous to encounter an "anti-defect".
>
> Keith L.
>
> --
> Keith Lofstrom kei...@keithl.com

Maybe bring some of these to the upcoming Un-PLUG meeting so we have something
to play with! Does the physical label on the drive actually say 16GB? That
amazon page has a button to switch over to the 32GB version for $28.80. If they
ended up sending you 32GB models then that just means the vendor lost track of
their own scam.

Why would you pay $27.98 for 160 GB when you can pay 28.80 for 320 GB?
https://www.amazon.com/PNY-Attache-Flash-Drive-P-FD16GX10ATT03-MP/dp/B01MCY4L2R/ref=asc_df_B01MCY4L2R?tag=bngsmtphsnus-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=79852149837934&hvnetw=s&hvqmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=m&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583451676482249&th=1

Click the button for the difference sizes (16/32/64). The 16GB is also labeled
as on sale, probably just to get unsuspecting luddites to pay the same price
for lower capacity chips. The math doesn't add up.
-Ben