On Sat, Sep 16, 2023 at 11:02 AM John Jason Jordan <joh...@gmx.com> wrote:

> >>something is not right here.
>
> I'm still stuck using the power button.

one possible thing to try would be to connect to this system remotely. if
you have set up ssh access, you can connect in and terminate the virtualbox
process from the command line. it would be interesting to find out whether
this returns everything to normal.

I sort of doubt that the window manager really died - the existing windows
should no longer display if that were the case. or at least you should lose
some of the surrounding detail (title bars, clock, notification tray, etc).

-wes