You don't need to root it to boot a custom rom--rooting only affects
user-land after you have booted.

What you need to do is unlock your bootloader.

> fastboot oem unlock
or
> fastboot flashing unlock

see:
http://www.howtogeek.com/239798/how-to-unlock-your-android-phones-bootloader-the-official-way/

Without that, you won't be able to boot a custom rom because the bootloader
doesn't see a system image that passes its tests.