bpa / triode >>> I'm using SS 6.3.1 and AlienBBC 1.5 (sorted this out
early in this thread, as I had been having great difficulty with 6.5
and the later Alien)

I've done the experiments bpa suggested: I played a 5 minute audio
file to my SB3.  I set the SB3 up about 3m away from the WAG54G
modem/wireless router.  I played the file with the SB 'wired' and
'wireless'.

Netstat showed no difference between wired and wireless:  2 or 3
resets in 5 mins;  but retransmits were c. 15/sec irrespective of
connection mode.

Triode's network test - using the plugin - was 100% at 3000kbps for
wireless (but sometimes with slight fluctuations down to 98%).  Wired
gave 100% at 4000kbps.

I tried repeating the wireless tests with the router within 1m of
the SB, and away from other equipment.  Same results.

The router has taken to dropping the wireless network altogether,
and has to be reset (with an off/on).  This has been an occasional
problem (inherent to the WAG54G I believe);  but it is happening two or
three times a day now, and has happened twice in the couple of hours
I've been testing the link to the SB.  Is there any chance that the
SS/SB is causing this (making the router work harder than usual?!?).

I don't have a spare router to check this element of the network.
I'm beginning to wonder if I need to replace it.

Thanks, both, for your thoughtful interest and help.  As before,
I'll be grateful for any advice - and I do want to thank you for all
the learning I'm doing!

--
Diana

--