Hi Mnyb and Ralph,

I am unstuck - many thanks to you both.

Mnyb, you asked the right question.  I had (mistakenly) understood that
I require LMS running on both my NAS (i.e. my music server) AND LMS +
Local Player plugin running to get the player functionality.  It would
seem that the two LMS installations were somehow hitting up against each
other.

Uninstalled the LMS instance and Local Player plugin from my player
computer, downloaded the Squeezelite binary per Ralph's message,
installed via the Readme instructions (including configuring autoplay),
and voila.  No fuss, no muss, just full functionality with MP3 streams
and files playing.

Again, thanks for the support, much appreciated!

Mark