Just out of curiosity, what's different on Windows that we need another
way of authorizing than other platforms? (Don't bother to answer if you
think the answer we'll be too long or too technical, or just don't feel
the need to answer.)

librespot currently doesn't work on Windows at all, lack of some dependencies. Only by disabling all audio backends (which we don't need anyway) and the discovery mode I was able to get it working on this platform. But without discovery mode you can't authorize it using a Spotify application.

--

Michael