model name      : mobile AMD Athlon(tm) XP-M 1800+

I'm happy to have a go at compiling spotty myself if that's what I'd
need to do?

I'm no expert in Rust, and even less so in assembler. But I think there's some code in the crypto library which uses SSE2 instructions - which your CPU doesn't support (it's SSE enabled only).

We're using this branch of the crypto library:

https://github.com/awmath/rust-crypto/tree/avx2

Maybe you could fork it on github, make your spotty clone (https://github.com/michaelherger/spotty) point to your crypto library and start from there? There are a few C files in the crypto's src folder which check for __SSE__ before executing some Assembler. Maybe that should be __SSE2__ instead, as FWICT MOVDQU is a SSE2+ instruction.

Good luck with that :-)

--

Michael