Thanks Greg.

I wondered about cabling too. I've taken the whole system apart and
moved components to try to separate various leads. All other components
are off and I've run the pi and amp from the same and then separate
extensions. No joy.

My supposition is that the chirping/repetitive short buzz is something
to do with the software/pi set up. I declare I have no expertise but my
logic is thus: the sound only happens when I switch to EQ enabled, and
that it disappears when a file is played. My limited experience with
ground loop and other interference is that it's either there or not
there.

I was rather hoping there might be some clever command I could invoke to
correct it. Perhaps not.

I appreciate that this isn't really integral to your software
development, so I'm not writing with haughty expectation that you will
resolve.

--

Backup doesn't save my settings. But they do remain in place until the
system is powered down/up. I'm not using putty, just the picore

Simon