Man in a van wrote:
> So is the 339kbps a "false positive"?

Not quite. It is what the BBC says.  A "false positive" would imply a
calculation was performed based on the stream data.

As a test, the non-UK stream says

Code:

  #EXT-X-STREAM-INF:PROGRAM-ID=1,BANDWIDTH=50880,CODECS="mp4a.40.5"

When my PlayHLS V2.1 plugin (not released) is given a HLS playlist URL
(I.e. not the HLS Masterplaylist URL with the "bandwidth=")  - it
estimates the throughput based on the segments size and duration.  It is
pessimistic with HLS MPEG-TS which is is used by BBC due to overheads.
The plugin estimates the rate to be 49k which is close to the BBC
statement of 50.88k