bpa wrote:
> Another thought.  A lot of the time BBC doesn't have current track info
> so what does MAI  do then ?
>
> Would it be better to have an API for MAI (e.g. a  few variables on the
> playing song object plugindata hash) for co-operating plugins to supply
> "cleaner" data - than the merged ones created to fit displays.
>
> An example of such co-operation - the Tune-in search will add in "hls"
> to the search parameters if it see "hls" as a supported type.  The "hls"
> type is only added to LMS when plugin has added support for it.

MAI makes lookups that fail but they do fail relatively gracefully (in
that UI is not full of errors) - however, I assume that MAI is not
always called and the user is probably not going to call up MAI info
when only programme details are shown.

Having extra attributes for MAI (or whatever) would go part way towards
my suggestion in a different thread to have a richer set of Now Playing
info (including programme name, synopsis etc).
However, I presume it would need the UI providers to know about it as
well since they call MAI with parameters at present (or could MAI choose
to ignore them by going directly to the playing song object ... and
perhaps have a new parameter to MAI to tell it not to do that?)

Paul Webster
http://dabdig.blogspot.com
author of \"now playing\" plugins covering radio france (fip etc), kcrw,
supla finland, abc australia, cbc/radio-canada and rte ireland