cparker wrote:
> 1) On user side, how does the rating system manage, if you have
> previously used TrackStat 1-10 star ratings on your music library?
If other apps or plugins (like Material) use -Ratings Light- to set a
track's rating they will send a rating value between 0 and 5 to -Ratings
Light- which it will multiply by 20 and write to the LMS persistent
database (using the standard LMS 0-100 rating scale).
So if a plugin sends a rating value of 2.5 -Ratings Light- will write a
rating value of 50 to the LMS database. Even if for some reason you
needed to write a very odd rating value like 69 you'd just send 3,45
(69/20) to -Ratings Light- and it would write 69 to the LMS database. It
just expects the incoming value to be between 0 and 5, all else is up to
the plugin sending the rating request.

cparker wrote:
> 2) On dev side, for my plugins I read the TS setting and determine
> whether 1 to 5 or 1 to 10 ratings are being used.  (Code below)  As I
> have mix settings to drop tracks that have been rated 2x stars or below
> for example, so they don't get played, so just wondering how to manage
> Ratings Light?
Basically -Ratings Light- is only involved in *setting* ratings (and
maybe showing them in a track's context menu or providing help for
displaying them with the -Music Information Screen- plugin on older
devices like Boom or Classic).
If plugins want to query or display ratings they can simply *get the
rating value directly from the LMS database*.
So in your example if you wanted to drop tracks that have been rated 2x
stars or below you'd query the LMS database and drop all tracks for
which LMS returns a rating value <=40 (according to the standard LMS
0-100 rating scale).

cparker wrote:
> 3) Finally is Ratings Light a direct replacement for TrackStat?
Yes but mostly no. ;-)
There is some overlap between what both plugins do, namely allowing
other plugins to use them to set track ratings, displaying the rating in
the LMS track context menu and offering a titleformat that allows the
display of ratings on older devices like Boom or Classic.
TrackStat offers additional functionality like finding data if you have
moved your library or ”smart logic around play counts and last played
time so the aren’t updated if you skip to next track early when the
track almost haven’t been played“. It also has its own database although
TrackStat writes rating values to both, the TrackStat and the LMS
database.
-Ratings Light- started because my rated music files/tracks have their
rating value stored in the comment tag to make transporting
(importing/exporting) ratings between apps/programs easier for me. I
needed a way to import those ratings values from the comment tags into
LMS and also a way to export a playlist with all tracks whose ratings
I'd changed in LMS. And -Rating Light- can do that for you.

So in short, TrackStat offers a lot more functionality. If you don't use
any of that and simply want to be able to rate tracks you may be fine
with just -Ratings Light-. Or you can install both if you want
everything both plugins offer. Apps and plugins will then probably use
TrackStat for setting ratings but you could still use -Ratings Light-
for importing and exporting.