I have a Raspbian Desktop Pi4 whicis my LMS server. Never bother to test
audio on it before.
I installed an old squeezelite build 1.9.7 from a tar file.  No other
files (e.g. no sysntemd stuff).

running squeezelite from shell prompt - I get no sound etc. out of
CARD=Headphone
VLC

SQUEEZLITE -D PLUGHW:CARD=-HEADPHONES,DEV=0

NO sound. Sits there no output.  Slimproto works OK - vol up /down.

SQUEEZLITE -D PLUGHW:CARD=-HEADPHONES,DEV=0 -A :::0

Sound OK.

I also noted that if you enable logging "-d output=info" - squeezelite
produces lots of log error messages unless there is a "-a :::0"