Canadave wrote:
> I'm new to this forum, and new to LMS/Squeezebox, but I'm experienced
> with home automation and networking.
>
> I have LMS and the Airplay Bridge running on a Raspberry Pi, and they
> are working well. I have 2 AV receivers, a Yamaha and a Denon, and both
> have Airplay. They are both detected by Airplay Bridge and are working
> properly.
>
> What I would like to be able to do is use the Zone 2 feature on each of
> the receivers, ideally having Zone 2 show up as a separate player in
> LMS. For example, I have a Yamaha receiver in my basement. The main zone
> shows up via Airplay as Basement. The receiver's Zone 2 is wired to
> speakers in my back yard. I'd like to have an additional player in LMS
> called Backyard, that would use Airplay to play to Zone 2 of the Yamaha
> receiver. Currently, I can do this by choosing the Basement player in
> LMS, then switching over to the Yamaha remote app, turning on Zone 2 for
> Airplay, and turning off Zone 1. It works, but it's cumbersome, and it
> will interrupt anyone using the receiver in the basement (Main Zone).
> The Denon has a similar set up, with the main zone in one room and Zone
> 2 in another.
>
> Both the Yamaha and the Denon can be controlled over IP, and I do have
> the control protocols. So, what I'd like to know is whether there is a
> way to:
>
> 1. Set up two players in LMS/Airplay Bridge for each receiver, one for
> the main zone and one for Zone 2;
> 2. Whenever a player is selected, have LMS send the necessary control
> codes to the appropriate receiver to configure it to play to the proper
> zone.
>
> Before I spend a lot of time trying to figure out how to do this, I
> thought I'd check in here to see if someone had already had success with
> something similar, or had tried and determined it was impossible.
>
> Thanks for any help you can give.

That’s is not easily doable. Each player advertises itself as a single
unit, not one unit per zone. So you would have to modify the helper to
create 2 bridge players for each detected airplay player and then
associate the « special command » to select the zone. From a software
development this is doable but this is a fair bit of custom code that I
would not be able to make generic. If you know your way to C, you can do
that

LMS 8.1.x on Odroid-C4 - *SqueezeAMP!*, 5xRadio, 5xBoom, 2xDuet,
1xTouch, 1xSB3. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, Foobar2000,
ShairPortW, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, Squeezelite on Pi,
Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5, RivaArena 1 & 3