mherger wrote:
> > So despite upping the RAM and priority available to LMS 8.1 in
> Docker,
> > 'Building full text index' takes almost 3 hours, verses the 20
> minutes
> > it takes LMS in the 7.9 Package Centre version.
>
> What if you used the "normal" setting in Docker as you do in 7.9?

I set them both to Maximum yesterday before doing the latest
clear/rescans (shown in screen grabs in my last post above), and run
times were the same as before (about 1 hour total time in 7.9; 3.5 hours
in 8.1). I guess, for one reason or another, Building full text index
takes longer when LMS is in a Docker container - at least on the DS218+

mherger wrote:

> > - What even is the text index?
>
> I assume you mean the fulltext search index? It allows you to search
> anything: lyrics (if stored in the music file), comments, parts of
> paths, parts of the artist name only, rather than only titles, names
> etc. Eg. if I have a "live recording" in the comment, I can search
> "gabriel live" to find live recordings by Peter Gabriel. This is not
> possible with regular search.
>
> But this feature is completely optional. You can disable the plugin.

Ahh, glad I asked the question now...! Thanks for the explanation -
never knew that. Sounds like the sort of thing I never actually take
advantage of, so disabling will probably solve my woes with the lengthy
rescans! Wish I'd known this years ago - would've saved *so* many hard
disc rotations and, more importantly, time during all those rescans!

I was in the process of testing a new and changed rescan in LMS 8.1
Docker (which I aborted after two hours, as it was looking like the
building text index was going to drag on as with the clear all and
rescans before).  Now I'm going to disable the 'Build full text search
index' part of the scan process and see the time difference between 7.9
and 8.1 now.  Hoping I'll be happier with less search functionality as a
trade off for much faster scans!

Thanks!

My setup:

- LMS 7.9.1-168 running on Synology D218+ connected to Wi-Fi router
  via LAN cable
- 1 x Squeezebox Touch, 2 x Squeezebox Radios, 1 x Squeezebox
  Receiver, plus Squeeze Player and Squeeze Ctrl Android apps on Samsung
  Galaxy Tab S5e and Samsung Galaxy A40 - all connecting over Wi-Fi
- LMS library either ALAC Apple Lossless (scanned in on iTunes) or
  ACC/M4A 256kbps downloads from iTunes