erland wrote:
> Unsupported=Nobody has officially tested the plugin with the LMS version
> and nobody have said they are going to fix any existing or future bugs
> caused by the plugin itself or current or future LMS version. None of my
> plugins are possible to install in LMS 8.0 or later unless you have
> checked the “Use unsupported extensions” checkbox which also state that
> you are aware of the risk that the plugins might even make whole LMS
> unstable. If you have issues with LMS, one of the first thing you should
> do IMHO is to uninstall any unsupported plugins to verify that they
> don’t cause the problem.
>
> Deprecated=The plugin/functionality is still supported and bugs will be
> fixed and users will be offered support if they have issues. However,
> deprecated means that the plugin or functionality is planned to be
> removed in the future. LMS has no way to indicate that a functionality
> is deprecated as far as I know, so if you want such indication you will
> have to monitor the forum and read between the lines. The fact that the
> last release of Dynamic Playlist was more than 4 years ago when I told
> everyone via forum that I wasn’t going to have the time to maintain it
> should be an indication. The fact that the last bug correction was 8
> years ago should be an even better indication.
>
> So I guess you can consider my version of Dynamic Playlist to be
> deprecated and unsupported since 2017.
>
> My personal recommendation, which I’ve previously stated in the forum,
> is that people that want to keep the functionality in my plugins should
> look for a different solution or try to encourage other plugin
> developers to implement something similar (like afriend did)
>
> When someone (like afriend) decides to test, fix bugs and adjust
> functionality in an unsupported plugin so you can get an officially
> supported version again, that’s a really good thing. Some functionality
> might break or disappear because it relies on other unsupported plugins
> but having a version that’s officially tested and supported and might
> get new features in the future is still a good thing IMHO. When another
> developer offers a new version it’s natural that the roadmap for the
> future goes in another direction.
>

> If you use LMS 7.8.*, which is the last LMS version which my Dynamic
> Playlist plugin was tested on, you will get my version since afriend
> only offers his version on LMS 7.9 and later. Of course, using LMS 7.8
> is no solution because then you are using an LMS version that’s no
> longer supported and might stop working at any time due to OS upgrades
> and other similar things.
>
> I’m sorry about the situation, but this kind of issues is something you
> will have to live with when you are using free software which relies on
> people spending their spare time to fix bugs or add functionality. The
> best way forward is to try to encourage the new developer in all
> possible ways, complaining on someone who spend their spare time to
> [...]

Dear Erland,

Thank you. This is crystal clear.

I am actually on LMS 8.1 and your plugins are still working fine.
Anyway, I truly understand your position and I have already made some
effort to get rid of Multi Library and Custom Browse plugins, however
IMHO Custom Skip and SQL Playlist have very useful features that have
not yet fully replaced in DPL V3. I will do my best to encourage and
support afriend to evolve DPL V3 for the benefit of the community.

All my best.
Marco