bpa wrote:
> Streams from the BBCSounds plugin use DASH format and so I think only
> the server needs to be in VPN as DASH streams are not played directly by
> players.
>
> If you are playing the general http/MP3 or the R3only http/AAC  stream
> which can be played directly by the player then the player has to be in
> the VPN

Here in Paris, this R3 mp3 stream plays on a Radio connected directly to
MySB.com with no VPN in the path:

http://open.live.bbc.co.uk/mediaselector/5/select/mediaset/http-icy-mp3-a/format/pls/vpid/bbc_radio_three.pls

Most of the R3 streams I use  (that mp3, mostly a BBCSounds stream, but
some old IPlayer streams too...) play via LMS with no VPN.  There is -
as sometimes discussed here - the occasional R3 stream which is
geo-restricted, but that's very rare in my experience (other Beeb
channels - espcially sport -  have more geo-restrictions).  However, we
all find that from time to time the Beeb has a "bad finger day", where
there are "abnormal" geo-restrictions even on R3 for 24 hours or so.

BTW - and this has nothing to do with the SB world! - since about
Christmas I have had no luck at all in using the BBC IPlayer *video*
downloader - my VPN (NordVPN) just won't get through, no matter what I
try.  However, at one and the same time, I can live play BBC video
output (even on-demand stuff) on the laptop via the VPN - just can't
download said programs.  But BBC radio seems no more restricted than it
ever was.

LMS 8.2.1 - 1628023316
Win10
Control: Web GUI; sometimes OrangeSqueeze on Android phones / pads

Machines / devices are in France, in two locations.
a) Livebox 4
Internal HDD (FLAC music; mp3 voice), LAN Desktop
3 x Touch - 1 wireless, 2 LAN. (8.0.1-r16855)
2 x SB Radios [wireless] (8.0.1-r16855)
2 x SqueezeAmps

b) Freebox
External SSD, WiFi Laptop