The lines from the file should have been broken by line terminator and
so there should be no control characters.

I am worried that the string is using some other encoding such as
Unicode or perhaps there is a difference is the Linux is not using
English as the language. The pattern match is probably the next best
approach but I would still like to know what additional chars are
hidden between Ubuntu and Suse

Since developing CDPlayer, I now have a Ubuntu 8.10 systems so I can
test on Ubuntu. To recreate the problem I'd like to know what version
of cdda2wab you are using and where you got it from so that I can use
the same.

I'd prefer to keep code as similar as possible between different OS and
IIRC sometimes the prompt message can appear when the drive hardware
gets confused - so checking for the message is best.

--
bpa