I've been thinking about what a recording plugin would look like.

To use - add a menu to a playing URL "right arrow" (e.g. just like "Add
to favorites", "More Info") which would start an instance of VLC using
the playing URL - this would avoid all the parsing and messing as SC
will have got the working URL.  Only urls with http, rtsp and mms would
be recorded even then some won't work but I think reporting failure may
not be possible.

The recording application should be VLC as VLC can handle all audio (I
think RealAudio, AAC, WMA, MP3 )  formats, save to a file in a number
of formats, it's available for Windows, Linux and OSX (I think) and
free.

That's the easy bit - how would the user stop it.

Possibilities
- start menu has a built in timer (e.g. record 10mins, 20mins, 1hr,
2hr) ?
- When user stops SB playing - stop VLC as well
- Separate stop as part of a "Extras" menu - RadioRecorder
- Stop when SC stops

What else
- A log of programs recorded (date/time and URL) and easy way to play
back.

Other issues
- would a user have multiple recordings simultaneously ?

--
bpa