I already had mplayer segfault problems on a linux Intel machine, now it
looks I have the same on an amd64 machine. I guess it boils down to my
brew of repos + singularities in kernel compilation choices (I use 250Hz
ticks, no preempt for example); I had Alien working well with a stock
kernel, then updated to lenny 5.0.2 + custom kernel + SC7.3.3 and got
the immediate mplayer segfault issue again. I need the custom kernel to
have ACPI working correctly. I had removed the other kernels and did
some apt-autoremove before witnessing the issue, so I can't track back
and pinpoint it more specifically.

If I find the time I will try to replace mplayer with vlc (neither have
extremely legible command lines) and report. Vlc has many interfaces,
including a telnet one, so I guess replacement is possible. Or is it not
?

--
epoch1970