What I've seen wrt power usage is: suspend = hibernate = soft off.
Maybe recent machines (2008 and newer) fare better in hibernate and
soft off modes ?

IMO, saving a session for a server is more risky than useful. I can
understand the use-case for a laptop, but that's all.
Wakeup is so slow waking from the IR remote via WOL is impractical. On
linux I tested the various modes and a full boot was slightly longer
than restore from hibernate, but not by much.

Syburgh, if I remember right, used hibernate smartly: the server would
suspend and program to wake after 2 days (?) At that time, the machine
would see it was completely idle for 2 days, and enter hibernate mode.
That was devised to cover the
"left-home-in-a-hurry-for-an-extended-vacation" case.

On the last machine I have built, when I suspend I also program the
BIOS for wake from S5 (soft off). The Bios is set to stay off after
power failure. So if the power goes down while sleeping, the server will
wake at the right time.
Context is lost, but since sleep/wake is a risky business, I rely on
very little runtime context, and what I need (a stack of alarms) is
stored to disk.

--
epoch1970