Sound good to me.
I had devised server and CLI port discovery in my privileged inetd
server I offered for use as a replacement to sudo for the mac. The code
is very much magic to me, and cares only for responses coming from
localhost, but I think I remember it worked over the lan.
Perhaps you could couple a background query like this to your MAC
address extraction routines and populate menus ? My code, attached
somewhere in the srvPowerControl thread ;)  was in perl, I don't
remember the name of the zip but the server is called sudonot.pl.

I think "SNstatus" is still useful to polish the switchback procedure,
and remote querying for alarms on players attached to mySB.com in JSON
actually (and currently) works.

--
epoch1970