gharris999;609537 Wrote:
> I think I'm headed towards a scrape clean and os reinstall on this
> machine.  Probably some months away, though.

So it is a software problem, related to a kernel extension or an
application helper I guess. You could try creating temporarily a new
user and see if PM works under that account. That could show if the
issue comes from stuff in /Library or in /Users/xxx/Library.

I think 10.6 allows to choose if you want to run a 64-bit kernel, or
only a 64-bit environment on top of a 32-bit kernel as in 10.5, through
some obscure boot option (?)
My new mini says "64-bit Kernel and Extensions: No" in About my
mac>More info>Software. That's maximum compatibility mode. (My desktop
environment stems from 10.3 on PPC…)

--
epoch1970

Daily dose delivered by: 2 SB Classic (fw 130), 1 SB Boom (fw 50) •
SqueezeCenter 7.3.4 (Debian 5.0) with plugins: ContextMenu,
SaverSwitcher by Peter Watkins • Server Power Control by Gordon Harris
•  WeatherTime by Martin Rehfeld • IRBlaster by Gwendesign (Felix) •
FindArt, CDplayer by bpa • BBC iPlayer, SwitchPlayer by Triode •
PowerSave by Jason Holtzapple • TrackStat by Erland Isaksson.