epoch1970;609635 Wrote:
> So it is a software problem, related to a kernel extension or an
> application helper I guess. You could try creating temporarily a new
> user and see if PM works under that account. That could show if the
> issue comes from stuff in /Library or in /Users/xxx/Library.
>
> I think 10.6 allows to choose if you want to run a 64-bit kernel, or
> only a 64-bit environment on top of a 32-bit kernel as in 10.5, through
> some obscure boot option (?)
> My new mini says "64-bit Kernel and Extensions:       No" in About my
> mac>More info>Software. That's maximum compatibility mode. (My desktop
> environment stems from 10.3 on PPC…)
Thanks...that will be the next thing I try.

My mac-mini reports:

Code:
--------------------

  Hardware Overview:

  Model Name:                   Mac mini
  Model Identifier:             Macmini3,1
  Processor Name:               Intel Core 2 Duo
  Processor Speed:              2.66 GHz
  Number Of Processors:         1
  Total Number Of Cores:        2
  L2 Cache:                     3 MB
  Memory:                       4 GB
  Bus Speed:                    1.07 GHz
  Boot ROM Version:             MM31.00AD.B00
  SMC Version (system):         1.35f1
  Serial Number (system):       YM94ABCDEFG
  Hardware UUID:                208B1C14-4B57-56F5-A015-C9770ABCDEFG

  System Software Overview:

  System Version:               Mac OS X 10.6.6 (10J567)
  Kernel Version:               Darwin 10.6.0
  Boot Volume:                  Macintosh HD
  Boot Mode:                    Normal
  Computer Name:                x’s Mac mini
  User Name:                    x (x)
  Secure Virtual Memory:        Not Enabled
  64-bit Kernel and Extensions: No
  Time since boot:              19:53

I'm surprised that it's not running the 64-bit kernel.  I did a stock
clean install via a Snow-Leopard DVD.  When I boot-camped, via some
trickery, I managed to get the 64bit version of Windows 7 Home Premium
installed and it seems to run pretty well on this hardware.

--
gharris999