JackOfAll;616610 Wrote:
> (http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=606430&postcount=1961)
> for such a comparison.

Thanks for pointing me to that.

My ears told me that something is wrong with the dynamics when Spotify
is played through Squeezebox with the Spotify plug-in - though I'm not
sure that normalization between tracks is what is going on here.

I've looked at a five track classical piece (Bartok's Concerto for
Orchestra) which I already have on CD and the identical CD is also on
Spotify and is available at 320kbps on that site. I've then compared:

a) the CD rip with

b) the Spotify Website output with no normalization (captured by Total
Recorder software) and

c) the digital output of the Squeezebox Duet (captured on an aged
Yamaha CDR-HD1300 digital recorder and then transferred to PC).

These are the resulting wave files as displayed in Soundforge. The
original CD rip and the Spotify Website files are very similar indeed
but the Squeezebox/Spotify plug-in file shows quite marked changes in
dynamics.

Original CD rip:
http://img822.imageshack.us/f/bartokcfooriginalcopy.jpg/

Spotify through the website (no normalization):
http://img856.imageshack.us/f/bartokcfospottotalrecor.jpg/

Spotify - Squeezebox Duet digital output (using the Spotify Plug-in):
http://img813.imageshack.us/f/bartokcfospotsbdigoutpu.jpg/

To be honest, in spite of Triode's great work, I find Spotify via
Squeezebox difficult to listen to as I know something is wrong.

--
JohnB