Krisbee,

thanks for your kind reply.

sudo service squeezelite start|stop|status does not work.

SL will start issuing "squeezelite" at the command prompt (without
sudo), however, the terminal will hang open.

I removed my edit in /etc/init.d/squeezelite and inserted default server
and audio card in /etc/default/squeezelite.

The hardware is an HP workstation (z210) with a Kingrex T20U
DAC/amplifier listed with lsusb as:
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 08bb:2702 Texas Instruments Speakers

I had checked https://code.google.com/p/squeezelite/, but there is
little information about how to tweak settings, beside the startup
options list.

town: Musical Fidelity Dr.Thomas, Preamp II, Infinity 7K, Squeezebox
Classic (2), Squeezebox Radio, Ubuntu 12.4 LTS server
country: Musical Fidelity A-5, Infinity Renaissance 90, Musical Fidelity
A120, Sonus Faber Concertino, Squeezebox Classic (2), SB Touch, Ubuntu
12.4 LTS server