Firstly, my apologies for digging up such an old thread, however, I
found myself coming across this thread while trying to resolve the same
problem all these years later. When trying to play Yle (Finland) streams
on my old SLiMP3 which are mms:// wma (at least when you browse using
LMS) my server was turning into a miniature heater. Given it's now 2016,
the option of using such an old mplayer version isn't too feasible. With
the help of a friend we've figured out what's going on with the high CPU
usage with mplayer. The issue is that mplayer is continually reading
stdin (for commands) however because it's /dev/null, it's just reading
EOFs as fast as it can, which is causing it to chew CPU cycles in the
process.

The solution is to simply add the '*-slave*' command line parameter to
mplayer.

I have done this within the
*/var/lib/squeezeboxserver/cache/InstalledPlugins/Plugins/PlayWMA/Bin/wmamplayer.sh*
script:

Add *-slave* into the *"$app" "$@" 1>&2 &* line:

Code:
--------------------
    echo Streaming: Launching $app "$@" >&2
  (
  exec 3>&1
  sleep 0.1
  "$app" "$@" -slave 1>&2 &
  echo $! > $apppid
  wait
  rm -f $apppid
  kill $scriptpid 2> /dev/null
  kill -9 $apppid
  ) < /dev/null &

I have also added in a *kill -9 $apppid* at the end because I was having
issues with zombie mplayer processes after stopping.

I hope that this helps someone else. I wasted a lot of time messing with
other utilities and mplayer versions!