Hello Martin,

I found the following option for slimserver.pl to be used

--charset        => Force a character set to be used, eg. utf8 on Linux
devices which don't have full utf8 locale installed

As UTF-8 works in the shell (interestingly enough independend of any
language settings in the DSM, i.e. Englisch and German both work fine)

When I add --charset=utf8 and manually start the slimserver.pl as admin
I get the following output and Umlauts work everywhere:

OS: Synology DiskStation (DSM Package Management) - EN - utf8
Platform: unknown
Perl Version: 5.18.4 - x86_64-linux

My issus was in finding the respective file as the article dated some
years back to the time when the servers was still located at
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/SqueezeCenter.sh

Thanks,
Stefan