mherger wrote:
> > Have you contacted Spotify about the missing features of their new
> API?
>
> No, as their announcement clearly says:
>
> "If you currently have an app that uses The Echo Nest API, check out the
>
> Spotify Web API as we’ve already migrated the most-used features.
>
> As always, we’ll continue to add additional features and enhancements to
>
> ensure you have what you need for development."
>
> > It would be in their interest to add them if it means that more
> > Squeezebox users would subscribe to the service.
>
> You heavily over-estimate the number of potential users they would win -
>
> even if all former SmartMix users moved to using Spotify from another
> service. They wouldn't notice that number.
>
> --
>
> Michael

And this is another reason why I'm very happy I stuck with MusicIP and
Spicefly Sugarcube. Even though the servers haven't been on-line for
years, local analysis and mixing still works ... Granted, it adds a step
in the workflow of adding music to my LMS but IMO it's worth it.
The other reason (the main one) is that all other methods of generating
"smart mixes" are way too genre-bound. I recently installed ROON on a
trial account and launched a "Radio" starting from a Suzanne Vega
compilation. After 1.5 hours of getting only Fairport Convention,
Richard Thompson and Tracy Chapman (all from my local collection) I
cancelled the account and uninstalled the software. In my current setup
if I do the same I get acoustic songs from all kinds of bands, not only
a couple of very specific folk artists: I'd get acoustic ballads from
metal groups, Mary Gauthier ...

Main System: Touch; Marantz SR-5004; TMA Premium 905; TMA Premium 901;
BK Monolith+ FF; HDI Dune Smart D1; Pioneer PDP-LX5090H
iPad 32GB Wifi + Squeezepad (local playback activated)
Acer Iconia Tab A700 + Squeezeplayer
Wandboard Duallite + CSOS, integrated LMS activated