britcowboy wrote:
> Nowhere near as long as 30 secs though, and yet it's still stopping. Is
> there anything I can do?
>
> I'm on a fibre 80mbps (and I max the line speed) so my internet
> connection shouldn't be bottlenecking it

I don't think anything can be done. This is BBC server taking a long
time to reply - nothing to do with the intervening network.

DASH is still beta so perhaps BBC is messing around or in your region
servers are being maintained.  Another possibility is problem is CDN
specific and the CDN that DASH player uses by default is Akamai but
there is a another CDN "Limelight" just there is no way in the plugin to
select CDN.

The player preloads chunks and each chunk is about 6 secs long so you
shoudn't get many gaps since you seem to get bursts of good flow with
pauses or usually up to 3-5 secs  in between.  I've had this sort of
"service" before and it only seemed to last a few hours or max 1/2 a
day.

You can try HLS setting to see if it is better for you.