As promised, I tried the combination of Squeeze CTRL & SB Player, and
this is exactly what I was looking for. Not only does this "duck" into
the background for notifications from other apps on the phone, it also
pauses the music on TMC messages from the car radio. To top it all off,
it even sends metadata to the car display!
Perfect software for my use, worth every cent.

Main System: Touch; Marantz SR-5004; TMA Premium 905; TMA Premium 901;
BK Monolith+ FF; HDI Dune Smart D1; Pioneer PDP-LX5090H
Workshop: iPad 32GB Wifi + Squeezepad (local playback activated)
Wherever needed: Acer Iconia Tab A700 + Squeezeplayer
Car: BananaPi LMS + Squeezeplayer on Android phone - Controller TBD ...