Hi Mirko,

On Wed, Feb 14, 2007 at 08:19:52PM +0100, Mirko wrote:

> If i use sum_host with networks.lst containing 192.168.0.0/16, is it
> right, that only traffic inside 192.168.x.x will be accounted?
>
> For example
>
>       only inside the local network?
>               192.168.0.1 <--> ..... <--> 192.168.0.11
>
>       or also for the connection from/to local network?
>               192.168.0.1 <--> ..... <--> 217.237.149.161
>
> If i understand you correctly, the traffic for the second example will
> be rewritten as 0.0.0.0, isn't it?

No. The first will be rewritten as:

192.168.0.1     <amount x>
192.168.0.11    <amount x>

The second will be rewritten as:

192.168.0.1     <amount y>
0.0.0.0         <amount y>

> > Such setup will allow you to get two different SQL tables: acct_in
> > containing incoming traffic to your 192.168.x hosts and acct_out
> > containing outgoing traffic from your 192.168.x hosts on a per-host
> > basis. On a plus side, your tables will remain small. You can also
> > still choose dynamic tables on top of this.
>
> Accounting by "aggregate: ip_src,ip_dst" gives me also the In- and
> Outcoming Traffic for each local client?
> What is the difference between using the aggregate_filter directive and
> the normal aggregate directive?

You can achieve the same result by both using:

a) two distinct tables, say, acct_in and acct_out, one aggregating on
dst_host and the other on src_host.

b) a single table aggregating on src_host,dst_host

Assuming no historical breakdown is involved, the difference lies in
the fact that, say, you are monitoring just a C class. In a) you will
get two distinct tables with a maximum of 255 entries each while in b)
you will get much more entries - ie. assuming there is internal traffic
and, say, each host communicates with each other in your C class, you
can easily have 255*(255-1) entries. Moreover, post-processing of a)
is lighter than in b) as the former requires just trivial additions,
while the latter involves sub-aggregations.

I'd say, combination of primitives are killers when not required: go
either for a) or for sum_host.