Hi Paolo,

2009/10/12 Paolo Lucente <pa...@pmacct.net>:
>> Netflow table utilization of module 5 is 99%
>>
>> With "mls flow ip interface-source":
>> Netflow table utilization of module 5 is 32%
>>
>> [ ... ]
>
> Something you might try is to enable sampling - given that you seem
> not to be running some older IOS (where sampling rate is not properly
> exported to the collector). So, on your 6500/7600:
>
> mls sampling packet-based <xxx>
> !
> interface <xxx>
>  mls netflow sampling
> !
>
> Look specifically at the packet-based flow-sampling variant as the
> other, time-based, is not working very well (IHMO). On the nfacctd
> side of the things, you can do calculations on your own or you can
> configure the daemon to renormalize data for you:
>
> nfacctd_renormalize: true

Flow sampling works fine, and seems also to deliver better
(respectively more matching to the "real" traffic) data.
I also figured out that i only get a full table when i'm activating
netflow sampling on interfaces with "routed" traffic (e.g. interfaces
with a transfer network configured and some networks routed over a
remote router) like our carrier uplinks. When i activate netflow on
interfaces with networks "directly" attached the netflow table keeps
its low usage.

>> splitting up the interfaces into some that generate netflow data via
>> the cisco box and some that have netflow data generated using fibre
>> taps and some BSD boxes using pmacct (maybe with PF_RING?) generating
>> netflow data sending this data to the central nfacctd-box. Opinions on
>> that?
>
> It's certainly an option; although on the specific example you mention,
> i'm not sure PF_RING works outside a Linux environment. You would have
> some "information loss", ie. input/output interfaces, due to the fact
> NetFlow is not done on the device where traffic is passing through but
> off-line. Also its applicability depends on the size of the environment
> we are speaking about: I see it not very popular in large-scale scenarios
> because it puts added burden onto you: you should not mind only to the,
> say, scalability of the collector but also scalability of the probe,
> architecture of the capturing framework as you touch your network, etc.

I know there are some disadvantages of this setup, but in this case (a
"historical" grown network) i have not really much options (besides to
drop the 6500er-boxes into the dumpster and replace them with some
devices that can really do Netflow, but i think our controlling...
;-). My preferred solution is also to generate the data at the point
the traffic is processed, but the second-best solution is a passive
tapping on the links that are not configurable on the cisco boxes
without getting the generation of netflow data going down on the whole
system...

Bye,
Chris