Hi Ross,

On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 02:46:51PM -0400, Ross Vandegrift wrote:

> I'm curious if I can acheive better performance for generating sflow
> data.  My plan was to use the iptables statistics module to do the
> sampling, to ensure that only sampled packets were being sent to
> userspace.  Since my sampling target is around 1:2000, this has the
> potential to cut down on a lot of work sending packets to userspace
> that will be ignored.
>
> Neil at InMon suggested this as a possible tactic for more efficient
> sflow generation than sfacctd when looking at around 3Gb/s and
> 500kpps.  pmacctd appears to be keeping up, but around 55-80% CPU.
> Traffic will continue to grow, and I'd like to see if I can't get
> performance better to make the system last longer.

I see. It's just not clear whether you are using pmacctd compiled
against vanilla libpcap. If this is the case, i can advice to give
a try to PF_RING. The kernel module can be configured for sampling
by passing the "sample_rate" parameter. At a glance, it would just
seem fitting better your scenario.

In case you want to go this way, please use the code from the CVS
as the build sub-system (configure script, etc.) has been patched
to recognize presence of PF_RING. This will indeed make it in the
upcoming release 0.12.1.