Hi,

We have upgraded from the palo alto 5020 to the 5220 device. Using
pmacct/nfacctd (1.6.2) we have noticed that for each CFLOW packet we get the
following message:

unable to read next Flowset (NetFlow v9/IPFIX packet claiming flow_len 0!):
nfacctd=148.85.56.21:2055 agent=148.85.56.93:2055 seq=361308650

It appears that code in nfacctd.c reaches: if (off < len) goto process_flowset;
and continues even so the number of flowsets were already processed.

Let's say a packet has 8 flowsets, all 8 are processed within the loop
process_flowset, it then jumps into the 9th flowset which turns out to be null
padded space at the end of the packet. Then it looks at the flow_len and finds
it to be 0.

I can see on the wire capture that the packets are definitely NULL padded. I am
asking palo alto to look at that as they are wasting a few bytes on the wire -
but it causes endless entries in syslog.

Previous wire captures of netflow traffic on the 5020 did not behave like that.

Steffen

Steffen Plotner                            Amherst College            Tel (413)
542-2348
Systems/Network Administrator/Programmer   PO BOX 5000                Fax (413)
542-2626
Systems & Networking                       Amherst, MA 01002-5000
swplot...@amherst.edu