On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 05:39:41PM +0000, Hans wrote:
> Tuesday, February 10, 2009, 5:08:25 PM, Patrick wrote:
> > Okay, now I'm very confused -- how/where do PTVs enter into this?!
> > The original message in this thread only talks about page variables
> > {$Foo} and template substitutions {$$foo}, and makes no mention
> > of PTVs.
>
> We have a collection of pages, each contains a record for a contact.
> Each may contain items like
>
> Name: Joe
> Surname: Miller
> Group: Development
> Tel: 01234567
>
> These can be accessed as PTVs.
>
> But we want to access them via display templates.
> Here is one:
>
> [[#default]]
> *'''{$$Name} {$$Surname}''' ''{$$Group}'' {$$Tel}
> [[#defaultend]]

If these are in fact PTVs, then shouldn't the
template substitution markup to be used be either
{$:Name} or {$$:Name} ?  The colon is an important
signifier in distinguishing page text variables from
other page variables.

> The template is used by the extraction routine,
> which could be a pagelist directive using a special template with
> (:include Template#default parameters...:)
> or a page with  a series of (:include ...:) directives
> or some other mechanism which calls FmtTemplateVars to do the
> variable replacements on the template text.

Could I see some actual examples of how you intend to
be using (:include:) in this case?  I suspect that PmWiki
already provides capabilities to do whatever you're wanting
to do (or can be easily extended to do so) without having
to modify existing markup definitions.

Pm