Hi

I’ve been writing unit tests to check the fixes for various parser related CVEs.

I’m happy to say the fix for CVE-2017-5853 and CVE-2017-6844 prevents overflows
on 32-bit (Win32) and LP64 (macOS) architectures for a wide range of values.
I’ve not tested LLP64 (Win64) which may behave differently because sizeof(long)
!= sizeof(size_t).

I did find 2 problems:

  1.  m_offsets.resize() can throw std::length_error as well as std::bad_alloc.
The C++ spec also says implementations are allowed to throw other exceptions in
addition to these as long as they’re derived from the base class
(std::exception). Currently ReadXRefSubSection throws a std::length_error
instead of PdfError for large values of nFirstObject and nNumObjects – this
cause an unhandled exception termination unless the caller is catching
std::length_error. I think this needs fixed for 0.9.6 - the attached patch
fixes that.

  2.  The PdfError thrown for out-of-range values is ePdfError_ValueOutOfRange
for some values and ePdfError_InvalidXRef for other values (and the specific
values change depending on whether the code is compiled for 32-bit or 64-bit).
I don’t think this is serious enough to fix for 0.9.6 – but the fix would be
making all the errors in ReadXRefSubSection all throw ePdfError_InvalidXRef or
all throw ePdfError_InvalidXRef.

If I can also submit the parser unit tests now, but I was planning to wait
until 0.9.6 release was complete

Cheers
Mark

--