POE 1.020 is released! It's a 13-point jump from the last release. Here are the change highlights, beginning with a few potential compatibility issues.

(!!!) Thanks to the mailing list, POE::Component::Server::TCP's ClientConnected callback parameters have been fixed. Unfortunately, if your code relies on the previous mis-documented parameters, then it may now be broken. Please review your ClientConnected callbacks with respect to the new behavior and documentation.

(!!!) POE::Loop::Event, POE::Loop::Gtk and POE::Loop::Tk have been spun off into their own distributions. This and future POE upgrades won't update those modules. Set your dependencies accordingly.

(!!!) With the help of Philip Gwyn, I overhauled POE::Filter::HTTPD to use plainer code and better support RFC 2616. As bizarre as it may sound, GET requests may have content, among other things. Please make sure the changes don't break your code. HTTP is a twisty maze of specification, all different, and you could be relying on something we haven't tested.

(!!!) Subversion $Id$ and $Revision$ tags have been removed from the source. This is one of two major prerequisites towards moving the repository to git. Unfortunately, standardizing modules on the master version (1.020) has caused retrograde versioning on those modules. I will probably release POE 1.300 shortly in an attempt to fix the issue.

Philip Gwyn fixed a pty leak in POE::Wheel::Run! I had thought closing them was enough, but noooooo!

Chris Williams fixed some tests, and of course, his legion of robots have been diligently testing POE and thousands of other modules around the clock!

Documented some of the caveats and side effects of running code blocks with POE::Wheel::Run. It's not quite like using exec() to run external programs.

Added experimental support for "weak" callbacks and postbacks. Adam Kennedy has a use case for postbacks and callbacks that don't keep their sessions alive.

Fixed a bug where rethrowing unhandled exceptions would corrupt POE's internal data. The rethrow has been moved after data cleanup.

Revised POE::Kernel->run() documentation for enhanced clarity, in hopes that a certain person may grow to understand the "run() wasn't called" warning can actually be disabled.

As always, please submit problem reports and other feedback through POE's bug queue at rt.cpan.org.

--
Rocco Caputo - rcap...@pobox.com