You should see UnknownRecord with an ID = 0x1c in the
org.apache.poi.hssf.dev.BiffViewer output.  This is the Note and/or
Comment record.  However it appears you'd also have to work with OBJ
records.  Perhaps you and Rodney could collaborate on that part (since I
think Images will require OBJ records as well).  Currently neither of
these record types have been implemented.  This one should be the easier
of the two to implement if you're motivated to do so, however I know of
no one working on this at the moment.  You might enter an [RFE] in
bugzilla if you are not able to contribute to this effort in hopes that
someone might see it and scratch the itch.

-Andy

--
http://www.superlinksoftware.com
http://jakarta.apache.org/poi - port of Excel/Word/OLE 2 Compound