    A DoubleClick executive has taken a top post at the Department of
    Commerce.

    Nuala O'Connor, DoubleClick's vice president for data protection and
    chief privacy officer, will start Aug. 13 as Commerce's deputy
    director of the Office of Policy and Strategic Planning.

    Long the target of lawsuits and public outcry -- even earning an
    infamous "Big Brother" award from Privacy International --
    DoubleClick's demographic profiling database targets advertisments to
    Web users based on their Internet habits.

    "I will be assisting Don Trigg, the office's director, in advising
    commerce secretary Donald Evans on an array of policy issues,"
    O'Connor wrote in an e-mail to friends this week. "As a result, my
    last day at DoubleClick will be [Friday]."

    Left-leaning privacy groups will certainly howl about this latest
    example of the Bush administration selling out to corporations.
    However, those with long-term memory cells will remember that
    President Clinton filled his administration with former liberal
    nonprofit group execs.