*******

Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 11:47:53 -0700
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
From: David Theroux <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: FC: Why liberty suffers during wartime -- a historical view

Dear Declan,

Excellent piece!

As you may well know, the major book on this subject is by our senior
fellow Robert Higgs, CRISIS AND LEVIATHAN: Critical Episodes in the Growth
of American Government (Oxford University Press):
http://liberty-tree.org/ltn/crisis-and-leviathan.html

Here is an excellent article by Dr. Higgs on the subject, "How War
Amplified Federal Power in the Twentieth Century":
http://www.independent.org/tii/news/990700Higgs.html

Here also is a new interview of Dr. Higgs:
http://reason.com/ml/ml092001.html

As for your points about the U.S. Civil War as the precedent for what lead
to the 20th Century's giant leaps into national security statism, you might
find the following of interest:

"The Civil War: Liberty and American Leviathan," with Henry E. Mayer and
Jeffrey Rogers Hummel:
http://www.independent.org/tii/forums/991117ipfTrans.html

"The Great Centralizer: Abraham Lincoln and the War between the States," by
Thomas J. DiLorenzo:
http://independent.org/tii/content/pubs/review/TIR32_dilorenzo.html

Emancipating Slaves, Enslaving Free Men: A History of the American Civil
War, by Jeffrey Rogers Hummel, reviewed by Stanley L. Engerman:
http://independent.org/tii/content/pubs/review/books/TIR21_Hummel.html

Best regards,

David
David J. Theroux