[This is an important and provocative article. --DBM]

http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2001/09/29/democracy/index.html

   Democracy held hostage
   We are fighting for freedom -- including the right to vigorously
   debate. But the war fever crowd wants us all to march in step.

   - - - - - - - - - - - -
   By David Talbot

   Sept. 29, 2001 | Truth is not the only early casualty of war. So is
   rational thought. War breeds hysteria and a rush to conformity. The
   herd, under attack, instinctively groups together and seeks assurance
   that everyone is trustworthy and loyal, everyone is primed for
   defense.

   That's what we're experiencing in our country in the weeks after the
   Sept. 11 terror attacks -- assaults so seemingly out of the blue,
   dramatically violent and diabolically orchestrated that they shook the
   nation's confidence to its core. Within hours after the terror
   offensive, before the shock had begun to fade, the country's political
   leaders and media elite rushed to assure us that the country was
   united and resolute. This was certainly true when it came to giving
   aid and comfort to the victims of the attacks. These were days of
   unprecedented national heroism and generosity. But as the weeks go by,
   it becomes increasingly clear that when it comes to the more vexing
   questions of why we were attacked and how we should respond, there is
   no national consensus yet -- nor even a clear consensus within the
   Bush administration.

   The country is undergoing a cram course in geopolitics, comparative
   religion and military strategy that is long overdue -- as well as a
   deeper soul-searching that is inevitable after this type of trauma.
   All of this brings with it a certain amount of intellectual and
   political friction, which is necessary and good for the country. As
   the better angels of the Bush administration have admonished us, the
   last thing America should do is let loose the usual round of
   ineffectual military fireworks -- a spasmodic reaction that might
   temporarily salve the wound to the nation's pride, but create even
   deeper troubles for us. What we need more than anything right now is
   careful deliberation and spirited debate. We need, in short, for our
   democracy to come fully alive.

   Unfortunately, the calls for herd-like conformity are on the rise. In
   the last week, self-appointed sheep dogs from across the political
   spectrum have begun yapping at our heels, pushing us to all think
   alike and move in the same direction.

   [...]