----- Forwarded message from [EMAIL PROTECTED] -----

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Godiva's contempt for customer privacy
Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2002 18:49:57 -0500

Declan,

Yahoo is not the only group selling out their customers.  I recently
sent some chocolate via Godiva.com, and a week later found myself on
Godiva's spam list, despite the fact that I had never agreed to
receive any advertising from them.  But that's not the worst of it:
I went back and read their privacy policy at
  http://www.godiva.com/customer/privacy.asp

The policy says that not only will Godiva spam me whether I asked for
it or not, but they will also supply my address to other parties who
would like to spam me.  And if I don't like this, I have to call their
800 number and ask them to stop.

What's most galling is that the privacy policy claims to be in
compliance with "guidelines from the Council of Better Business
Bureaus".  Apparently those guidelines don't require companies to
protect privacy in any way, as long as they disclose (in the fine
print of their online Privacy Policy) exactly how they intend to screw
their customers.

Well I've had enough of this.  I urge everyone to boycott Godiva until
the company learns to show some respect for its customers.

-- Dave Touretzky

----- End forwarded message -----