[Clearly state legislators cannot be trusted to recognize the dread menace
of surreptitious videotaping and take appropriate measures themselves.
Naturally existing laws, such as trespass and harassment are entirely
insufficient to address this clear and present danger, as a multitude of
court cases has shown us. Of course encouraging the FBI to spend more time
prosecuting voyeurs and less time investigating terrorists is a wise idea.
--Declan]

---

http://www.senate.gov/~landrieu/releases/02/2002417521.html

    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    April 16, 2002

           Landrieu: New Bill Makes Video Voyeurism A Federal Crime
                 Louisiana Story Leads To Federal Legislation

    (WASHINGTON DC) Under a new bill introduced today by Senator Mary
    Landrieu(D-La.), secretly videotaping a person in intimate situations
    without their consent would become a federal crime. The bill was
    inspired by a woman in Louisiana who discovered after she was secretly
    taped that there was no law against such an act. Mirrored after
    Louisiana's new law, the Landrieu legislation would make "video
    voyeurism" a crime punishable by up to three years in prison in case
    of adult victims, and up to ten years in prison when a child is
    involved.

    "In the privacy of our own homes, none of us should have to wonder
    whether or not we're being secretly watched-- and even recorded," said
    Senator Landrieu. "Unfortunately, our laws haven't kept up with the
    new technology that makes this kind of invasion of privacy very easy
    to accomplish. This act of "video voyeurism" is not addressed by our
    federal legal system and in most states, it's not even a crime. The
    legislation I am introducing today helps fill this gaping hole in our
    privacy laws, so that if someone is secretly watching you, under this
    bill it will be a crime punishable by law."

    The legislation was unveiled at a press conference where Senator
    Landrieu was joined by Monroe, Louisiana activist Susan Wilson, whose
    story inspired the bill, Actor Angie Harmon, who played Susan in the
    Lifetime Original Movie "Video Voyeur," and two New Orleans natives,
    Executive Producer Blue Andre, and Mary Dixon, Lifetime's Vice
    President of Public Affairs.

    "I'm so grateful to Senator Landrieu and Lifetime Television for their
    commitment to this issue," said Susan Wilson. "This bill will help
    provide victims and their families with much-needed protection and
    ensure some accountability for those who violate the privacy of
    others."

    "Susan Wilson had to learn the hard way that a high-tech invasion of
    privacy wasn't against the law in Louisiana-- or any other state,"
    said Senator Landrieu. "She's fought to make changes in Louisiana's
    laws so that victims in Louisiana can pursue a legal remedy. But there
    shouldn't have to be a Susan Wilson in every state in order for people
    to be protected from this kind of horrifying event. I hope this
    legislation will act as a deterrent-- but if it doesn't, at least
    victims will have the strength of federal law behind them."

    The new bill, entitled the "Family Privacy and Protection Act," would
    create two new federal crimes of video voyeurism, one dealing with
    adults and one dealing with minors. Under the bill, any person who
    uses a camera or similar recording device to record another individual
    either for a lewd or lascivious purpose without that person's consent
    is in violation of the law. The penalty for violation is a fine and/or
    imprisonment of up to three years, or ten years in the case of a
    minor.

    In addition, the bill would set up an Internet domain (such as .prn)
    for material harmful to minors and requires all websites containing
    such material to register on that domain name. Any websites currently
    on other domains (such as .com, .org, etc.) would be required to close
    down those sites and move to the new domain.