What happened to these two individuals, and to quite a few others, went far
beyond a bad trip.  Google [psychedelic schizophrenia] for some of the
scientific and medical research on the subject.  Some minds are permanently
shattered by bad trips.  Syd Barrett of Pink Floyd may be a preeminent example.

Alan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:                               --- In
political-research@yahoogroups.com, Sean McBride
 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

 > I know of two particular cases in which friends of mine (one a
 > high school classmate, another a college classmate) did in fact
 > suffer permanent mental breakdowns from the use of psychedelic
 > drugs -- one from a bad LSD trip, another from a bad mescaline
 > trip.

 Check. A bad trip ("flip out") can be terrifying, and potentially
 quite destructive I imagine.

 My point, to be more specific, is that there is nothing inherent
 to the **pharmacology** of the drugs that is neurodegenerative,
 in the way that was originally suggested. I was not saying that one
 cannot have bad experiences while under their influence -- bad
 experiences that could have long-term ill effects.

 The great majority of "psychedelic" (entheogenic) drug users --
 many, many millions of them -- have suffered no such ill effects.

 Set and setting are extremely important. See the literature on
 this subject.