Mike,

It's not mythbusting, it's simply presenting a different opinion.

> This argument is based on the limited view that wealth is mainly
> generated by loaning or borrowing at interest - a common enough
> assumption among financial people over the past 30 years. A more
> progressive view is that real wealth is generated by labor, combined
> with access to resources required for production. Putting people to
> work creates wealth.

> Businesses have always invested their capital to create more
> capital. The best parts of Obama's proposal involve getting the
> government to do the same thing. Conservatives are resisting this
> because don't believe that there's such a thing as the common wealth

The idea that government, by putting people to work, will infuse the
economy is troubling because the government doesn't create anything. A
business creates goods and services, and consumers spend money on
these goods and services. This generates capital, which can then fund
jobs or be reinvested back into the business for growth. But
government doesn't do this. Government doesn't create it's own
capital. Government relies on business to fund it's operation, and so
as it increases it's spending it must draw more capital from business,
making it harder for business to reinvest or maintain a payroll. It's
like suggesting we use a battery to drive a motor to turn a generator
to create electricity to charge the battery. This doesn't work and
eventually the battery will die.