> On Dec 19, 2017, at 8:13 AM, jakedrake.r...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> AFAICT, the main advantage of Pollen over Scribble is that Pollen is more
> extensible so that a user could customize the latex template and easily add
> new tag functions. Is that indeed the case?

You can add tags to Scribble too. But with Scribble you're working through an
intermediate abstraction (that is, the Scribble document model). With Pollen,
you aren't.

It's analogous to using a big JavaScipt app framework vs. vanilla JavaScript.
With a framework, you get a lot of functionality for free. But you have to
learn the framework. And accept its limitations. Without it, you have to handle
more heavy lifting at the outset. But you get more control over the outcome.

> Faced with a new writing project, it would be useful to learn the advantages
> of pollen vs scribble and other products. I believe you make the case, in
> part, for something like pandoc vs pollen. As a suggestion, this might be a
> useful item to add to the documentation

I agree. But I've never seriously used Pandoc or LaTeX, so I have no insights
on how Pollen compares. (Though someone who does would be welcome to contribute
a relevant section to the docs.)