> On Feb 9, 2018, at 10:55 AM, Junsong Li <ljs.darkf...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I noticed pollen server is using a function called
> render-from-source-or-output-path , which is defined here
> https://github.com/mbutterick/pollen/blob/5f338b5ecf9bbca7d7a44ca0e721b22a6cf8210a/pollen/render.rkt#L71
>
> And once I switch to this function, pollen-rock dashboard can load normally.
> This function also loops over all source file types.
>
> Has anyone noticed the performance difference of that two functions before?

`render-from-source-or-output-path` is just a wrapper function around
`render-to-file-if-needed`, so I'm skeptical that performance is at issue.

As its name implies, `render-from-source-or-output-path` is more lenient with
input: it can take either a source or output path as its starting input (if it
gets an output path, it derives the source path name).

Whereas `render-to-file-if-needed` can only take a source path.

So my theory is that you're passing arguments (output paths, I would suppose)
that `render-from-source-or-output-path` can handle, but
`render-to-file-if-needed` cannot (though I'm surprised that there are not
explicit errors popping up.)

I assume I needed this housekeeping for the project server and it seemed too
idiosyncratic for the public interface, but perhaps it's suitable for
pollen-rock (because it is also a server)