Sometimes there's a misapprehension among new users that Pollen represents a
monolithic "take it or leave it" system. (Not a surprise, because many
page-making systems are like that.) Pollen tries to make simple projects easy
(by providing non-astonishing default behavior) while not inhibiting complex or
ambitious projects (by being hackable & mixing smoothly with Racket at large).

Of course, these projects require more heavy lifting from the author. My free
advice to anyone in your position would be to work "horizontally" by making an
end-to-end prototype of the project (e.g., simple Pollen source files that
produce simple HTML). Then iteratively improve.

This is in contrast to working "vertically" where one tries to design the whole
project from the top down, like a snake swallowing a goat. This tends to be
harder, less rewarding, and takes more time (because it's easier to develop
faulty intuitions when things are unfamiliar).